Thursday, January 26, 2006

See? Now I can blog too!

It took me quite a while to understand what the blogs were all about. At first, they seemed like silly toys where people talked about whether their kitty felt sad that day. There are, of course, plenty of those out there, but I mean how blogs were a useful communication tool for business and the development of new ideas.

I am responsible for the operations of the American Marketing Association's Web site. A large part of this is devising the strategic direction of the group, particularly as it relates to content. I knew what blogs were, and roughly how they worked. I just didn't understand how they could be a useful resource.

I think I get it now, and one of the purposes of this blog is to explore those ideas. I hope to find others out there who are thinking along the same lines. One thing I've discovered is that new ideas get stronger and stronger the more brains you can filter them through.

Blogs and traditional media sources do not need to be in conflict. I think they actually have much more to gain by working in a closer partnership -- similar to a news organization that has hundreds of freelance correspondents around the world to cover local issues. We'll see how this goes, but even if I end up writing an online diary to myself I think it will help flesh this out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home