Thursday, February 23, 2006

Hard to find a good blog

I've been using blogs for more than a year now to get news -- politics is a hobby. I always found it very easy to find the best blogs out there, and to follow links, etc. between blogs to find new ones.

I've not found that to be the case thus far with business- and professional-oriented blogs. At least the ones I've been surveying lately tend to be islands unto themselves. You have someone -- typically someone who recently wrote a book -- writing blog entries at less frequency than the news-oriented ones. There seems to be far less back-and forth dialogue going on, and I rarely find a blog that will comment and link to postings on another blog. The best I can do if I find a useful blog is scroll through that blogroll list, choose one at random and hope for the best.

I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that the news/political blogs lend themselves to more of a team atmosphere. While the individual bloggers want themselves promoted, made famous and influential, they want to do so within the context of advancing a philosophical point of view. Because of that, these blogs tend to team up and cross-promote each other. For example, The Northern Alliance (presumably named after the anti-Taliban forces in Afghanistan) is a conservative-oriented group of news/political blogs led by Hugh Hewitt.

The more effective groups are the ones that rise to the top. There doesn't seem to be a similar team-oriented approach to professional/career blogs -- at least, I haven't stumbled across it yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home